We’ve all been at that point where your makeup sponge looks a bit sorry for itself, but rather than throwing it away and investing in a new one, it is always a good idea to try cleaning it first if it is still in a usable shape.
This method of cleaning a makeup sponge has been spoken about before by other people particularly on YouTube, but it honestly works so well that I wanted to share the process just incase you missed it. So, here is how to give your makeup sponge a new lease of life:
- In a microwavable container, add a few squirts of washing up liquid with some water-fill about two thirds of your container
- Place your sponge in the liquid, and allow it to absorb the water so it begins to sink and is covered by the liquid
- Place this in the microwave for 1 minute
- Take the container out of the microwave and remove the sponge
- Rinse the sponge under the tap and squeeze all the water out
- Repeat step 5 until your sponge is no longer full of suds from the washing up liquid-this may take some patience as it takes a lot of rinsing in order to remove all the suds!
- Place on a towel to dry
The above images show a before and after from when I cleaned my makeup sponge. I have had my sponge for a while so the process did not fully clean all of the makeup off; but it does remove most of the dirt whilst also helps to remove the bacteria collected in the sponge.
I hope this helps, and might save you having to buy a new makeup sponge. This method definitely works really well for me, and also let me know if you have any other ways to clean your makeup sponge!